As part of its commitment to social responsibility, it is Stonehurst's policy to be on the cutting edge of our industry's "green" initiatives, aimed at being good custodians of the planet and ecosystem in which we operate.
For every packaging application encountered at Stonehurst, we consider the possibility of a "greener" solution. Where corrugated is specified, kraft corrugated is derived from non-bleached paper from sustainable forests. The paper content has a significant amount of recycled fiber and this corrugated board is highly and easily recyclable.
Ahead of the Times
The corrugated industry was actually a sustainability leader long before it became fashionable. It begins with using primarily renewable raw material and 43% recycled content, and recovers 78% of its end product through recycling...the highest level among all packaging materials. Some additional facts:
- 93% of corrugated boxes use paper sourced from Sustainable Forestry Initiative program participants, who have helped increase the amount of standing timber in the U.S. by 39% since 1952.
- From 1994 to 2005, the amount of corrugated used to ship a unit of product has decreased by 19% due to more efficient package designs, stronger papers, and more efficient converting processes.
Because corrugated packaging is custom designed and can be printed with high-impact graphics, it is a shipping container that can double as a merchandising package, helping product suppliers reduce the amount of packaging required to bring their goods to market. Between first use and recycling/disposal, corrugated containers are often re-used several times by industry or households. Almost all the corrugated and foam fall-off (waste) generated during our manufacturing processes is recycled.
When it is desired to use other than corrugated, Stonehurst offers:
- Polyethylene foam sheets or die-cuts with recycled content
- Green "air pillows" that have recycled material and are recyclable
- Bubble Wrap with recycled material